Categorization is introduced in Calem Enterprise R11 to be available in Spring 2018. It is a category hierarchy with unlimited levels of depth. It is used to group objects in Calem for browsing, search and reporting. It is an enhancement and expansion of the category and sub-category in asset module. For example, IT systems can be categorized as Hardware/Desktop/Mac, Hardware/Server/Linux, as shown below.
The categorization hierarchy can be built out for various object types and viewed in tree or list views:
- Categorization can be browsed by tree or list.
- Tree menu path: Org module | Codes | Categorization tree.
- List menu path: Org module | Codes | Categorization List
- Relation menu path: Org module | Codes | Category Relation
- A categorization can be designated for selective object types in Calem including:
- Work Order
- Service Request
- PM Plan
- You may build multiple hierarchies for an object type. For instance, some hierarchies for assets, some hierarchies for work orders and service requests.
- Use short names without spaces for categorization. The spaces will confuse Calem when doing data export/import by categorization below.
The following is the categorization tree with objects browsing.
- Click a categorization in the tree the objects belonging to the categorization and its children are shown in the object tabs.
2. Category Attributes
Category attributes are categorization specific attributes that are only applicable to the objects of the categorization.They can be attached at any categorization level in the categorization hierarchy. A child categorization inherits the category attributes of its parents.
Here are the steps to identify and create category attributes for categorization.
- Identify categorization for the object types. For instance, define categorization "Vehicle" for vehicles, define "Truck" as its child categorization. Each vehicle has a license attribute. Each truck has an axle attribute.
- Define category attributes for a categorization when applicable.
- Attributes defined at parent categorization is available in child categorization.
- Category attributes are managed from the following menu:
- Menu path: "Admin | Data design | Category Attributes"
A category attribute is managed as a custom field. So, it can have values from text, numbers to dropdown values and table lookups. You can add many attributes for each categorization.
3. Screen Customization by Categorization
Forms and reports can be customized by categorization.
- For instance, you can have forms and reports tailored for trucks to show information related to trucks including license and axle attributes .
- To start customization, click "Form Design" at Asset tab to select a group in the categorization tree.
- Use "Custom system" to design for all users in Calem.
- Click "Assets" to customize asset list for the selected categorization
- Click "Asset report" to customize asset report list for the selected categorization.
- Click "Location", "WO", "SR", etc. to customize list or report for other object types.
- The forms and reports can be customized just like normal form customization in Calem. The only difference is that each categorization could have its own forms for an object type.
4. Import and Batch Update by Categorization
Once customization is done, the "Assets Report" or other object report excel export files can be used to import and batch update assets or other objects. The excel file can include category attributes of the categorization.
- Export asset list to excel from "Asset Report" list.
- The excel file names are generated based on categorization and should be kept unchanged for data import so that Calem can figure out which categorization the data should be uploaded to.
- Edit excel file to add new assets or update existing data. Save the excel file.
- Import the excel file to update the database.
- Integration module | Data Upload | Select the excel file saved to upload
For example, to import asset data for categorization "ServerApp", the file format is:
- "cmv_asset" is the object name which is asset.
- "ServerApp" is the categorization to import and ends with "__cas".
- "notes" can be anything you added for clarification.
".xls" is the file extension for excel file.