The integration module allows administrators to perform bulk data initialization or updates.
- You can craft an excel template from a report and export data to store off the excel file.
- Use the same excel file to populate data and upload data to Calem.
1. Data Upload
Calem provides a few ways to upload data based on your business requirements:
- Manual upload from an exported file
- Manual upload from an excel template
- Batch upload from command line
- Scheduled upload
- The data validation should be left enabled by default all the time. This is important so data would not be added to your service by accident. For instance, a location "Server-Central" was misspelled as "Server_Central", a new location "Server_Central" will be added if the validation was turned off.
- You may turn off validation at initial data population, or bulk data creation. This will be a saving if you let Calem add missing lookup values initially. For instance, you are upload a user with job role "Electrician", instead of manually creating "Electrician" before a user can be uploaded, you may have Calem create "Electrician" in the job role object automatically by turning off the data validation.
- The validation should be left on for "Bulk Update" to be discussed below.
2. Bulk Update
In Calem release R10 you can batch update data through data export and import. This is recommended approach to update multiple data rows.
Here are the steps:
- To update data the key correct field or fields must be included for upload to be successful.
- Use "Customize" button on a list report to add columns you need to upload to the list. So, the final list view should include all the fields you need to populate data with.
- One simple approach is to include "id" field in the export. The "id" field uniquely identify a data row so you don't need to figure out if correct key field or fields are included in the export.
- You can include the "id" field through "Customize" button in a report list.
- The "id" is an internal key field for a data row and is generated by Calem to be unique when data is created. If you are creating data through upload, do not populate "id" field.
- Use a report list to export data to be updated. For instance, "Asset module | Report | Asset report list".
- Narrow down the list through search before exporting the list.
- If the report list does not include the fields you need to change or add. Customize the report list to include the fields you need (see Admin Guide for report customization).
- Edit the excel file and save changes.
- Upload the excel file to the database. The menu path is "Integration module | Data Upload"
Customers of CalemEAM can reference "Calem Enterprise Data Upload Guide" at Support Site for more information.